Wednesday, September 3, 2014

What do students really think about their education?

Hello readers!
I am Julianna, a sophomore at Reading Memorial High School and this is my Honors History blog. This is where we will be asked to write about topics in our history class.

Thanks for reading!

Many teachers think they are great teachers or at least on the right track but do they ever ask what the students think? Students have their own ideas of what would make a great teacher for them. A great teacher to me needs to have a few mandatory qualities; sense of humor (especially for high schoolers), a desire and passion for teaching, caring and a desire to learn. Without these things a teacher will never be great. They must want to do the job they are doing or they will never do it well. And lets be honest now high schoolers like to have fun and joke around and we want teachers who will do it with us while also teaching us the things we need to learn. This may be a tall order but being a great teacher is something to really strive for. I have only had three or four great teachers in my 10 years as a student. Now I have had a good amount of teachers in these years, too many to count actually. These three or four great teachers had a desire to help students learn. They also had a desire to learn and enjoy their job. As long as my future and current teachers have a positive attitude and a desire to teach and learn then the school year should go well. I look forward to learning with everyone this school year.

This is the John Green Video from Youtube addressing Students
An Open Letter to Students 
John Green, the author of  A Fault In Our Stars and many educational youtube videos, has this idea that students have a duty to put their education to use and do great things. I completely agree with this! We all have our own idea of what it means to put something use and what it means to do great things but as long as we reach our own idea of those things than that is what matters. This school year I hope to do great things. I hope to improve my research skills and my understanding skills as a student. I also hope to improve my horseback riding this school year as well as getting better at balancing school and my barn time. Hopefully I will make more friends and also keep my current ones as well! To reach my goals I will keep doing what I have been doing as I have been succeeding in reaching my goals the way I am now before.

Have a great school year!

No comments:

Post a Comment